Tire Shop Technician
Prime's enviable reputation within the transportation industry is a culmination of more than forty-five years of dedication to a unique corporate culture which seeks the most qualified professionals and routinely rewards them accordingly. Every Prime associate, driving and non-driving alike, is selected for their outstanding ability to perform well beyond typical expectations.
Positive, enterprising and highly-motivated individuals who possess the talent, creativity and drive to excel, routinely succeed once they join the Prime Team. The stated goal of Prime is simply to strive to be the best, not necessarily the biggest. The Prime Team cooperates to exceed customer requirements by providing exceptional customer service.
Prime has been built on the simple, yet significant philosophy that providing the best staff with the best equipment, the best support system and the best training ultimately leads to the best customer service. Prime's continued success is a direct result of a corporate culture that instills and inspires each associate to remain committed to reaching the pinnacle of their inherent potential.
Prime, Inc. is looking for a hard-working, self-motivated individual to repair damaged tires of trucks and examine defective tires and tubes returned by drivers to determine allowance due on replacement by performing the following duties:
- Visually and tactually examines tire to determine if defect resulted from faulty construction or curing.
- Raises vehicle with hydraulic jack, and unbolts when with lug wrench.
- Locates puncture in tubeless tire by inserting adhesive material and expanding rubber plug into puncture.
- Separates tubed tire from wheel with rubber mallet and metal bar or mechanical tire changer.
- Removes inner tube from tire and inspects tire casing for defects, such as holes and tears.
- Glues boot over rupture in tire casing.
- Buffs defective area of inner tube, using scraper, and patches tube with adhesive rubber patch or seals rubber patch to tube with hot vulcanizing plate.
- Measures tread depth to determine remaining tire life.
- Reassembles tire onto wheel, and places wheel on balancing machine to determine counterweights required to balance wheel.
- Hammers required counterweights onto rim of wheel.
- Cleans tire sides and remounts onto vehicle.
- Prorates allowances based on tread wear, warranty provisions, and knowledge of tire characteristics.
- Explains basis for allowance to driver or distributor.
- Performs related work as required.
Any combination of education, training, and experience providing the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Prior tire experience is a plus.
Must have a strong work history. Flexible schedule with the ability to work nights and weekends required.
Experience, Education, and Training
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
This position requires constant standing, handling, and forward reaching; frequent walking, head turning, bending, kneeling, stooping, squatting, hand control and power gripping. Candidate must be able to lift 105lbs, carry 85lbs and push and pull 115lbs. Steel toed footwear, and safety glasses are required in the shop.
Both indoor and outdoor working environment with exposure to varying weather conditions and chemical odors.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
PRIME will provide protective equipment (“PPE”) as necessary to its associates in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.132(a). PRIME provides safe working conditions that are fully compliant with all applicable OSHA workplace regulations as it respects an associate’s exposure to chemical, mechanical, or other potential workplace hazards or impairing conditions that could compromise the integrity of the associate’s well-being, to include eyes, extremities, face, head, or respiratory system. PRIME associates must fully adhere to all PRIME PPE policies at all times. Any PRIME associate, who refuses to fully abide by these mandatory PPE policies, and related safety measures, may be subject to the appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including termination. All required personal protective equipment will be provided by PRIME to each associate at no cost to the associate.
Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record and reliable transportation to and from work.
Candidate must be able to pass a job specific post-offer physical prior to beginning employment with Prime, Inc.